I know that I've already noticed and learned so many things but when it comes to this it's so hard to exactly say and describe what it is. I learned things about me, about people, about American people but also while being away from home about German people, English people, also about French people, old people and young people, about intelligent people and stupid people, rich people and less rich people, intelligent rich people and stupid rich people....ahh and so on...about so many different people!
And speaking of rich or rather rich - money is a big issue for everyone, isn't it? And why not taking another variable into account? Happiness.
I've been wondering for a long long time if those two components in life are linked at all? "No way, who needs money to be happy!?" and "Yes, the more - the better." I guess the truth lies somewhere in between those two extremes. So lets say at least to me, they seem to be related.
Is it mathematically spoken a function that is proportionally increasing...meaning the more money you got, the happier you are?!
To me the truth is, there must me a certain value x that is about the one that is just enough to be super happy and the more earning you got from this point on, your happiness - in this case being our y-coordinate while money is our input or x-coordinate- will just approach an asymptote, a personal marginal value- won't cut across a certain point or value which means there is no such thing as the "unlimited rising happiness".
The graph got more the characteristics of the left half of a "normal" parabola that has been turned through 90°. Makes sense? I know it sounds easy...but...the way to get there might be the bigger trouble. Still, I believe that there is a way for everyone.
I know I might have complicated things (except for my math teachers who did a great job at teaching all this (sorry but useless?) stuff, or maybe not as my philosophic approach to algebra is probably not as appreciated as solving money issues with all those big mathematical equatations, for instance.) but this is just the way I feel about it (and I could even easily draw the mathematical graph in a coordinate system, got it right in front of my eyes! ha!)
What geeky way to write about this stuff. I guess I'm still not over not having started my academic career as math professor at one of the top unis in this world yet. Thanks Lea though, for always believing in my assumed "above average" scientific knowledge and skills. The day will come..I know it! haha
So yeah, this is only a tiny little bit of one lesson that I've learned for myself. How come? Living in "this world" where money matters become less relevant as the ressource seems to be infinite makes you wonder a lot about those things - even more if this whole world is compleeeetely the opposite that you've been used to so far and luckily are still used to. Thank god, I do have my own very finite(!) ressource ....as tempting as it must be to be able to go shopping without even thinking of the prices.
Well back happiness - in fact, I was also gonna talk about how I just decided for myself that happiness is one of the most wonderful gifts in life and why else is everybody striving for it? Experiencing it makes us go for more, doesn't it? It makes us Happiness-junkies! Why is everyone so very touched and inspired by the story of a single dad - working as hard as a human ever could to do great in life, becoming an educated, successful businessman who manages rising his little boy on his own. The Pursuit of Happiness. That's what it's all about.
I'm also reading "Eat. Pray. Love." at the moment and it's so very inspiring.
I just heard a successful, rich, gorgeous woman saying ...."Success without happiness is the biggest failure...". I agree with her, totally.
Yes, and I think pure and unconditional happiness can even be life-saving sometimes. But make up your own mind...
First of all: You are welcome ;)
AntwortenLöschenSecondly: You should read Aristotle's philosophical works, he said that "Glückseligkeit ist das Endziel allen Handelns"...truly inspiring!
I love you!
Glad to hear that you find "Eat.Pray.Love" inspiring. I did too and I am glad you enjoying it. And yes I agree with the success without happiness is useless thing.. totally.
AntwortenLöschenMiss you! Hope you can continue enjoying the states and if you ever visit the Carolina's say hi to them from me :)
:-*
Marit