10/12/2010

Three weeks - three words: crazy, cool and so different!

Three weeks have already passed and finally found the time to give a little summary of what's been happening so far.

My family is amazing, they are so very nice and friendly people and try to make me feel comfortable in every way. The two boys, Jaren and Carson, are fun, active, lively very smart and loud! haha! It's amazing how much energy they have during the day and how grumpy they can be when they don't have any at all! ;-)
England vs. Spain!!
During the first weeks I got to know many friends, family and neighbours as we went to lots of dinner parties, BBQs and playdates which was fun!
Carson is 5 (oh no FIVE-THREE-QUARTERS as he always emphasizes! ;) and plays soccer ("Nooo Danica, not football!!" -Okay, I got it!!)...you wouldn't believe it but he has just joined the "Spanish team" and his daddy is the best coach of the world!! It's so cute! After a big loss against England (he is still convinced Spain won the game) they played very well against Argentina and the Netherlands! Good job!
Jaren is a such a cool and relaxed child - only when he's not tired! ;) His biggest challenge is the daily potty training - but as it is normal for a two year old kid, he never needs to go potty. Silly adults - sure he doesn't need to go potty, what else do you think this diaper is for?

my car :)
Thank god, I got my own car, so I'm pretty independent and can go shopping, meet friends or do whatever I like whenever I'm not working. And Mum, I never had an accident! Though Americans drive like crazy, it is unbelievable...but I guess you can't expect anything else if you can get your license for just 20$ without any lessons or anything?!
Yeah anyway, everone needs a car because the distances are far too big so nobody ever cycles, walks or moves in a healthy way and especially not when it's still so hot outside!
The weather is so nice over here, we still got 30 degrees, the sun is out everyday, blue sky, no wind...it's so lovely!! Also the landscape is so beautiful. There are are so many lakes, green woods, hills...it all seems like a little recreation area.
Our neighborhood could be the original film set of Desperate Housewives ...also the women do exactly look like in the series-  well-shaped, perfect style, perfect make-up, perfect hair and perfect smile and so so friendly!
Apart from that Cumming and the towns around are all pretty much the same - shops, malls, Starbucks, Wendy's, KFC, Target, Walmart etc. everywhere but no real city centre, nothing historic or interesting to see. (For that reason, I really miss Europe - and because people there probably know that Luxemburg is not a German city?! But whatever! haha!)  
The film set ;)
I guess we need to go and see what Downtown Atlanta is like ;-)

My week...

Mondays I always attend a two hours parenting class called "Positive Discipline" and by the time I've completed it, I guess I must be the best Au Pair in the world! haha!! The aim is to help children develop self-discipline, responsibility, sooperation and problem-solving skills instead of always telling them what to do. It's weird because you literally give them the power and let them decide between  two choices that you give them and are okay with. Sounds easier than it is - cause don't think they're not trying to take advantage of the language and wanto to play tricks on you! Buuut like my good old people from Bonn said: With me is not good cherry eating!!! hahahaha!!

Even though this whole positive discipline stuff is gonna put me in the situation where I will have to leave the supermarket or restaurant with a kicking, spitting and screaming child on my arm no matter what other people think, I'm convinced the quintessence of all the methods will pay off one day!! ;)
haha Jaren!
So what I'm doing at the moment during my weeks is drive the boys to pre-school and kindergarten in the morning which takes an hour as we're usually stuck in traffic on the highway for half an hour, go to the gym, do some shopping, meet other Au Pairs until I pick Jaren up, go  to a park or playground, get an ice-cream or whatever (and without his brother - he is an angel! :) ), after that pick his brother up, go home, play around, get dinner ready and the kids to ready for bed, read stories and say goodnight.


I met Spiderman!
Every Friday my hostfamily celebrates Shabbat. Before we have dinner together they do  a little ritual where they say a special prayer, bless the children and share some Challah -jewish bread-and wine or grape juice. It's a really really nice tradition, especially for the kids.
Hello??!!
At the weekends we usually do something fun, go to a playground, do rock-climbing (my arms felt like they're just not made for it ;), go to the swimming pool, go out for lunch, go to the movies, to a pumpkin farm as everyone is so excited for Halloween. This weekend we gonna go to Disney on Ice - Toystory and I think I'm even more looking forward to that than the kids!!
On Sundays we usually have a little family meeting after dinner (yeah another tool from our parenting class!) where we discuss what happened during the week, plan some fun activities for the next week, appreciate things that other family members did etc.. I know the whole thing might sound crazy or a bit too much but it's a great chance to let everyone know whats going on on your mind.

Other Au Pairs: me and the girls who arrived with me had our first Au Pair meeting at our first weekend here which was a great opportunity to meet girls from everywhere round the globe, it's awesome!
We already went shopping in the mall (what else?!) , to the outlet malls, to the movies, had breakfast, lunch and dinner together. I just love spending time with these girls, it's so much fun! :) More about the silly stuff later ... ;)

The next couple of weeks, Stacy, Jeff, Carson, Jaren and me are waiting for the little baby girl to join us. Seeing that my hostmum's huge belly is still growing every day, I would say this cute little thing must be here in the next couple of days, she can't have any more room?! But the doctor says she still got another 4 weeks. We'll see.... ;)


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen